Irene's Chargrilled Asparagus, Zucchini & Haloumi
This generous salad is a meal in itself. It is laden with enough colours, textures & aromas to be the centre of a light Spring supper.
250g (1 punnet) cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup olive oil
150g halloumi, sliced
Salt & black pepper
For the basil oil
¼ cup olive oil
1 garlic cloves, chopped
25g fresh basil
A pinch of salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1. Snap the woody bases of the asparagus off and blanch for 4 minutes in boiling water. Drain & refresh under cold water, making sure the spears are completely cold. Transfer to a mixing bowl and toss in 2 T of the olive oil and some salt & pepper.
2. Slice the zucchini very thinly lengthwise (use a mandolin if you have one, or a vegetable peeler). Mix with 1 T of the olive oil & season with salt & pepper.
3. Place a large griddle pan on the stove over high heat for a few minutes until very hot. Brush with olive oil. Grill the zucchini & asparagus, turning them over after a minute. You want to get nice char marks on all sides. Remove and leave to cool.
4. Heat 2-3 T of olive oil on the griddle pan and fry the halloumi cheese and cherry tomatoes for a 2 minutes on each side or until the cheese is golden.
5. To make the basil oil, blitz all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. You might want to double the quantity for some blender blades to be effective. Keep any extra oil for future salads.
6. To serve, place the zucchini, asparagus, tomatoes & halloumi cheese on serving plates. Drizzle the basil oil and serve.