Beautiful Brussel Sprouts
Every so often I get a ‘whiff’ of something British and I lose myself in a bit of nostalgia. It’s usually something trivial that catches me off guard; a Royal Christening, a heat wave, Wimbledon..but this week it is something quite significant. The Brussel Sprout. This mighty green nugget has whipped me into a patriotic frenzy; so painstakingly British that I can’t even walk passed one without humming 'God Save the Queen'. So quite simply I have to honour it.
This little vegetable gets a bit of a bum deal, but this is largely due to over cooking; what it really needs is some tender loving care …luckily I’m just the gal for the job.
This is one of my favourite winter recipes. It’s colourful, sweet and nutty and even the fussiest of little eaters will gobble it down before you can say mid-winter Christmas. Perfect for a roasted Cameron Harris Chicken.
Maple Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Pumpkin and Hazelnuts
Serves 2 as a main dish with spelt berries, barley or Quinoa or 4 as a side dish with your favourite Sunday roast.
- 500g Zoes Garden brussel sprouts, cut in half long ways
- 500g Zoes Garden Butternut (cut however you fancy)
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbs of butter or ghee
- 3 Tbs of maple syrup
- 1 Tbs of Fix and Fogg Peanut Butter
- ½ Cup of roasted chopped hazelnuts, almonds or peanuts
- ½ tsp of salt
- Preheat oven to 220 (HOT)
- Pop sprouts and pumpkin in a large bowl and set aside
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the garlic and peanut butter and stir all together until smooth.
- Cover the sprouts and pumpkin with this sauce and toss through until coated and spread on a tray
- Roast for 10mins
Serve warm and scatter with roasted nuts of your choice.
Now everybody knows that Bacon and Brussels are best of friends so if you feel like a little extra texture then try sprinkling some bacon crumb over the top! Naughty!
- 6 Plentiful Deli Crostini
- 6 Rashes of Cameron Harris Middle Bacon
- Cook the bacon until crisp. Pat dry and leave to cool.
Combine the crostini and bacon in a food processor and blitz until desired consistency.