Hearty Winter Green Salad
Since we seem to be stuck in an Artic groove, emphasis lately has been on warming foods to keep our inner furnaces ticking along. But as I write this I see the sun is tipping his hat to me so I am inspired to direct my bounty of Petite Produce towards wholesome and nourishing salads.
My nerdy, vegetable loving heart skips a beat when I see that Te Manaia Organic Red Kale is back in the box this week; earthy Beetroot to be eaten raw or roasted, Te Manaia Organic sprout combo for punch and protein, Avocado for creamy goodness (makes a great vegan mayo!) and more, there’s still so much more! Generally speaking, we seem to have a perfect box of textures, colours and flavours to put together some seriously yummy salad ensembles that can win over even the most carnivorous creature! In the winter months Ceres Organics Red Quinoa, Farro and Brown Basmati rice are my three favourites to tie my salads together.
Hearty Winter Green Salad
(Serves 4 generously or 6-8 modest portions)
1 Zoe’s Garden Broccoli (cut florets into mouthful size pieces)
150g of Zoe’s Garden Spinach stems finely chopped
Te Manaia Red Kale stems removed, roughly chopped
1 raw Beetroot, peeled and julienned/grated/finely shaved
2 Cups of Ceres Organics Farro, Freekeh or Quinoa
2 Lemons zest and juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the grains as per instructions on packet. (I always add bay leaves to mine and sometimes a little bouillon). Once cooked place in a bowl and add some sea salt and pepper, zest and juice of one lemon and a glug (about a tablespoon) of olive oil. Mix it gently and set aside.
- Blanch the broccoli florets in boiling water for two minutes and cool immediately (If you can be bothered, plunging them in an ice bath really does help maintain their integrity). Drain and set aside.
- Chop half of your avocado into chunks and pop the other half in a food processor with the remaining lemon juice, salt, pepper and dash of olive oil and whizz until smooth.
- Rinse the kale and pop into a mixing bowl. Add the avocado and gently massage into the kale.
- Add the rinsed and prepared spinach.
- Prepare your beetroot but add this last to protect your greenery!
- Gently toss all ingredients together with a clean hand and then incorporate your beetroot and grains for one final mix and ta dah..green, crunchy and creamy.
If you like a bit more ‘dressing’ this Mandarin Vinaigrette is really vibrant and works particularly well with earthy salads;
¼ of a cup of cider vinegar
¼ of a cup of mandarin juice (about 2 Mandarins)
½ tspoon of balsamic or red vine vinegar
½ tspoon of brown sugar
Pinch of salt to taste
1/3 cup of olive oil
(Makes a cup)
Put all of the ingredients except the olive oil into a little food processor and whizz for a minute, then trickle in olive oil to emulsify. That’s it! Yum.
A few more suggestions...
- Lemony brown rice with Tamari Sauteed Kale, roasted kumara, salad sprouts and chilli flakes
- Red Quinoa with spinach, shaved beetroot, apple, cheddar and avocado
- Farro with broccoli, sultanas, avocado and parmesan
- Red Quinoa, with green beans, feta, roasted beetroots and toasted walnuts