You can serve these healthy savoury quinoa cakes as a main dish or a side. If you make them into small patties, they make perfect nibbles at a cocktail party! They are delicious with the light & tangy lemon aioli.
500-600g eggplant, cut into wedges
1 cup white quinoa
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
400g spinach, stem removed, leaves chopped, washed
1 tbp olive oil
Salt & pepper
2 tsp ground cumin
½ cup grated Kingsmeade Pecorino cheese
2 eggs, beaten
4 tbp canola oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Season the eggplant wedges with salt & pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes or until soft and browned.
2. Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions (cook 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes).
3. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add the garlic. When it is fragrant, in 30 seconds to a minute, stir in cumin and fry for another 30 seconds. Add the chopped spinach leaves & fry for another 1-2 minutes until wilted. Season with salt & pepper.
4. Transfer to a large bowl, and add the quinoa, grated cheese and egg. Combine and season with salt & pepper.
5. Heat the canola oil in a non-stick pan. Moisten your hands, and shape the mixture into hamburger-size patties (it will make about 8 patties). Carefully place 4 patties in the hot oil. Press down on the tops of the patties with the bottom of your spatula to prevent them from falling apart; if they are thick enough, they should stay together. Cook for four to five minutes on each side until nicely browned. Remove from the heat and repeat with the remaining 4 patties.
6. Serve the quinoa spinach cakes with eggplant and aioli.